Surtrac Implementation Engineer
At Rapid Flow Technologies (www.rapidflowtech.com), our vision is to improve people’s lives by reducing the negative impacts of traffic congestion. We are using artificial intelligence (AI) to re-imagine traffic control. Rapid Flow is an early stage AI company that was spun out of Carnegie Mellon University in 2015 and is based in Pittsburgh, PA – one of the leading markets for AI, robotics, and autonomous vehicle research and development.
By implementing Surtrac, our adaptive traffic control system, municipalities have reduced the causes of traffic congestion, pollution, and safety incidents by as much as 20-40%. Surtrac is an edge-computing AI solution installed at each intersection. It easily integrates with existing detection, traffic control, and communication systems.
This role will be focused on helping customers and partners implement our Surtrac solution in the field. If you have experience in implementing AI solutions, embedded computing, intelligent transportation systems (ITS), or traffic products, and want to use that experience to truly make a difference and change the world, then this role might be perfect for you!
The ideal Implementation Engineer will have both a) strong technical skills associated with building software/hardware integrations and b) experience deploying technology systems in the real-world. Experience working in traffic cabinets at the intersection, interacting with traffic engineers and planners, or knowledge of the equipment associated with signalized intersections would be useful, but are not necessary. Because the combination of these two sets of skills are hard to find, we are open to reviewing candidates with more experience in one area, but a willingness to learn the other.
Main responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Supporting (and eventually leading) end-to-end deployment of the Surtrac system. Customer implementations include planning and design, hardware and software installation, configuration and tuning, operations testing, and supporting full-time operations.
- Managing and providing post-implementation support to existing customers
- Interacting with and sometimes supervising partner companies in a customer engagement (e.g. as a sub-contractor, or managing our own sub-contractors or partners)
- Participating on internal teams to improve existing and build new implementation processes, tools, and systems
- Building interfaces and integrations to other systems, hardware, and technologies
- Supporting the development of new product enhancements
- Over time, serving as a subject matter expert (SME) for business development, sales, and marketing support
- B.A./B.S. degree, or equivalent industry experience (advanced degrees considered)
- 5+ years of experience in implementing complex projects, ideally in the AI, robotics, or ITS space
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to work in a collaborative and multidisciplinary environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to interact with customers and partners at all levels
- Linux systems administration experience. Deployment of embedded Linux systems particularly useful.
- Scripting and programming experience (e.g. Python)
- Possesses a high degree of independence, proven leadership and decision-making ability
- Goal and results oriented operating style
- Sound ethics
- Ability to travel to customer sites globally (10-30% of time)
- The ideal candidate will also have
- Some exposure to ITS systems and tools (e.g. Vissim or other simulation/planning tools, traffic signal controllers, detection systems)
- Specific software development capabilities